Most people associate Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) and Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) with children, but the fact is that three percent of adults in the United States also experience the symptoms of this disorder. Many adults are unaware that their issues are due to this disorder as they believe it is a condition that affects only children. It’s vital for adults to recognize the signs of ADD so they can get proper treatment and live as normal a life as possible. Do you think you may have ADD? Here are some of the symptoms to look for.
Signs You May Have Adult ADD
There are a variety of symptoms of adult ADD and not every person will display the same types of actions or have the same issues. However, all of the following could be indications you suffer from adult ADD.
- Anxiety – If you often feel like you cannot calm down or are overly worried about common everyday situations, it could be a sign of ADD.
- Disorganization – Do you find it difficult to stay organized? Do you often find yourself late for meetings or get-togethers and cannot keep your schedule straight? When faced with large projects, do you have trouble figuring out where to start and how to get through the project effectively? Disorganization is a classic sign of adult ADD.
- Sudden Outbursts – Those with ADD often have trouble processing and controlling their emotions. This can lead to sudden outbursts of anger that take others by surprise. If you find that your emotions often burst out of you and that it is beyond your control, it could be a symptom of ADD.
- Mood Swings – Some adults with ADD find that they can go from joyous to angry to sad for no apparent reason and all within a short period of time. If you often find yourself having mood swings that are unrelated to outside circumstances, it could be an indication of ADD.
- Impulsive Activity – Those with ADD have problems fully considering the impact of their actions and making appropriate decisions. This can lead to impulsive actions that are dangerous or not in their best interest. If you find yourself engaging in risky behavior, it could be a sign of ADD.
- Inability to Manage Time – Do hours go by and you have no idea how you spent them? Do you find it nearly impossible to be where you’re supposed to be at the time you were supposed to be there? Do projects often take you hours longer than you expected? A classic symptom of adult ADD is the inability to efficiently manage time.
ADD Treatment San Francisco
Fortunately, there are many treatments that can help those with ADD and they are improving at a rapid pace as we continue to study and learn about the condition. If you believe you have adult ADD, it’s imperative you get a proper diagnosis so you can receive the right treatment. ADHD treatment at EZCare Medical Clinic in San Francisco may include the following:
- Therapy – Therapy can be an effective treatment for those with ADD. Many times, learning about the unhealthy thought habits and patterns you have through cognitive behavioral therapy can be enough to replace negative thoughts and learn ways to manage your condition. Individualized plans are important for those with ADD because each case is unique and involves different symptoms, thoughts, and behaviors. In addition to individual therapy, those with ADD may also benefit from family therapy. This allows family members to learn more about their loved one’s condition as well as to express to them how their behavior affects them. If both the patient and his or her family is open to the possibility, family therapy can be incredibly effective.
- Counseling – Counseling is less intense than therapy and can be effective for those with milder ADD conditions. Counseling provides a knowledgeable and caring person who can listen to your thoughts and feelings and give you effective strategies that can help you manage everyday life with ADD. Personalized counseling plans developed at an attention deficit disorder clinic can often make a large positive difference in the life of someone living with adult ADD.
- Prescription Medication – Depending on your symptoms and the severity of your condition, certain types of medications can often be effective in treating ADD. Medications can include stimulants such as Adderall, Ritalin, or Concerta, or non-stimulant medications like Clonidine or Strattera. Though not appropriate for those with any addiction issues, medication can help enhance counseling or therapy plans in those with no history of addiction.
Finding the Right Clinic to Treat Your Adult ADD
If you believe you have ADD and want to get a diagnosis or if you have already been diagnosed with ADD and would like to get treatment, it’s imperative that you find the right ADHD clinic in San Francisco. When considering a clinic, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do they offer counseling, therapy, and medication? It’s possible that the best treatment plan for you will be one that includes both therapy or counseling and medication. If the clinic you are considering does not offer both types of services, you might want to look one with a more comprehensive list of treatment options.
- Do they create personalized plans? No two cases of adult ADD are alike, which means no two treatment plans should be the same. Your doctor should meet with you and learn about your unique case before developing a customized treatment plan. If you feel you are being treated as a number and being offered a cookie-cutter treatment, you should look for a new clinic.
- Do they have experience treating adult ADD? To properly treat adult ADD, a clinic needs to employ doctors who have experience with the disorder. Those who have only treated children with ADD or have rarely seen adult ADD patients simply do not have the experience necessary to treat it properly. Ask what experience your doctor has with adult ADD before agreeing to a treatment plan.
- Are they nearby? When you need to attend a therapy session, speak with your doctor, or schedule an appointment, you don’t want to drive to a clinic that is hours away. Look for a San Francisco clinic that is near where you live or work so you can easily attend sessions or appointments to help effectively treat your condition.
If you have been diagnosed with adult ADD or have the symptoms of ADD and want to know if you have the condition, make an appointment at EZCare Clinic to see a doctor today.