Almost everyone today knows that being overweight is not healthy. The terms Body Mass Indicator (BMI), obesity, high blood pressure and heart disease are often used in everyday speech, in videos and in the literature that is written about being overweight.
Sadly, knowing all of this does not make weight loss easy. In fact, some people find it almost impossible to lose weight or to keep from gaining weight, and this might be due to an underlying health condition that has not been pinpointed yet. Are you looking for weight loss clinics open on Saturdays? At EzCare Medical Clinic, our weight loss doctors are open on Saturdays and Sundays. Call us to schedule an appointment.
Underlying Medical Conditions
Many individuals who struggle with their weight are unaware that there might be factors beyond simple self-control that are contributing to the problem. Some of these include:
- Sleep Apnea – While there are many studies that link obesity to individuals who already have sleep apnea, there are additional studies that state that people who do not sleep well might just gain more weight than others. For instance, an individual who wakes frequently in the night due to sleep apnea may just be experiencing sleep deprivation. Such deprivation not only drives people to comfort foods but can also sap much-needed energy, leaving little or no desire to exercise. Add to this the fact that metabolism slows down when too much sleep is missed, and sleep deprivation becomes even more dangerous for those who may be trying to lose weight.
- Thyroid Problems – You may have heard about people who have thyroid problems and thought little of it. Several diseases, however, revolve around the thyroid’s ability to function, including Hashimoto’s disease and hypothyroidism. When the thyroid is not functioning properly people might be unable to shed unwanted pounds or gain weight rapidly. In order to rule out thyroid problems, a physician can run a blood test and check thyroid function levels.
- Stress Hormone – One study completed by the University of Alabama at Birmingham confirmed that there may be a link between cortisol (a hormone that is triggered in times of stress) and obesity.
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome – One common hormonal disorder for women is Polycystic Ovary Syndrome or PCOS. In this syndrome, the body has trouble using insulin that should be working to convert food into energy. Along with high insulin levels, women with PCOS have higher levels of androgens which cause acne, irregular periods and yes, weight gain.
- Electrolyte Imbalance – It is a well-known fact that the human body needs water to survive. But many do not know that not drinking enough water each day can lead to weight gain, water retention and bloating. As it turns out, hydration is very important to keep one’s weight at the desired level.
Living a Healthier Lifestyle
If there are no underlying medical causes for weight gain or an inability to lose weight, the most recommended next step is to look at is lifestyle. Make sure to consider more than just the number of minutes you exercise in the gym. Take a look at how many hours a day you are behind a desk, how many evenings you choose to veg on the couch out of sheer exhaustion and what kinds of foods you reach for when you are too busy to cook a healthy meal. There is a chance that a good look at these types of issues may point out what types of changes you might be able to make toward a healthier lifestyle and a healthier weight.
Health professionals at EZCare Clinic in San Francisco can help ensure there are no underlying health conditions, then work with you to help set up a personalized plan to help you reach your weight loss goals. Our weight loss counseling program can help you understand your brain and how it controls your cravings, desire to exercise and even the amount of weight you are able to use. By learning to look at your food-related issues, then find ways to work through them, you will be learning skills that are sure to benefit your overall health for the rest of your life.
Prescriptions for Weight Loss
Anyone who has struggled with their weight can tell you that all of the above suggestions do not guarantee weight loss. Thankfully, there are weight loss doctors in San Francisco understand the weight loss battle and know when to offer help such as prescription drugs for weight loss. There are several effective prescriptions including:
- Lipo-B Injections – This quick and easy injection is a combination of Vitamin B, Inositol, Methionine, Choline and Inositol. When injected, this combination of amino acids and nutrients has been proven to help burn fat.
- Phentermine – This appetite suppressing prescription diet pill helps to not only control hunger, it also helps the bodies burn more calories with a boost in the energy levels. Doctors typically recommend that it be used in conjunction with cognitive behavior therapy, a diet based on calorie controls and an exercise program.
- Exercise Programs – An effective exercise program takes more than just walking into the gym. EZCare Clinic’s professionals can help build you a personalized exercise program that will help with your weight loss goals.
- Other Prescription Weight Loss Medications – Medical professionals may also find that other weight loss medications such as Liraglutide, Lorcaserin or Orlistat might prove more beneficial for you personally.
Take the First Step
Give EZCare Clinic a call or walk right in and our healthcare professionals will be happy to help you with your weight loss goals. From diagnostic testing to exercise programs and prescription weight loss medication, your weight loss success starts with this first step.